The kindergarteners, first graders, and second graders gathered for the experiment. While the other grades worked together. We did discover something- we should have had goggles!!!
The older kids glued copies into their science logs, the others said out loud and I jotted them down on post-it notes.
I taped the tools to the chart, so all of the students knew what they were (even though I kept calling them by the wrong names lol)
We started with the Q-Tip, then on to the toothpick, then finally the water.
We found out that the Q-Tip didn't do much. The toothpick did the most damage... to US! The crumbs were flying all around!!! Hence us needing the goggles!
We used the cheep-o chocolate chip cookies. I use the same kind of cookie for digging for dino bones :)
You will have to wait for December for that post though!
I just recreated the chart from above from this unit:
I wish they put their info on it. I am sure that you would like a copy too! If this is your, give me a shout-out so I can send them your way! It is a great unit!!
I did have some very unhappy second graders when they didn't get to eat the cookies. When I do this experiment again, maybe there will be money in the budget to buy extra cookies.
A little side note- We never did get to do the 5 minute test- namely because we ran out of time lol We only have 15 minutes for a session. :)