Monday, October 8, 2018

All About Spiders

We start the unit off by asking if they think spiders are creepy or cool.



These are little spiders that I printed from the Fill In game.
My students wrote their names on the spider and we taped them to
the spider web.



Matching game
I cut off the title Spiders
glue it on a smaller Manila envelope.
Then on the back of the cards, I draw a line 
with a marker straight line with a marker
on the back of each card. Then when
we play this game and the cards
get mixed up.
We can easily see which cards go with which set.



Cube Rolls

I print only one in color.  I attach it to a Manila envelope.
I laminate the whole envelope.
Then I cut along the top where the opening is and 
this is where I put all of the copies I need.
I put one copy in with a HUGE yellow O across the whole page.
The O stands for original.
I "train the troops" to leave that in the copy bin, 
so I make copies of the sheet.
The yellow highlighter doesn't copy,
so it's a win!!

I print off the cube part in color too and
laminate it (sometimes)
and put it in a pocket cube.
It is easier if they are on cardstock 
so when they fall out of the cube, 
the kids can just pop them back in!






I do the same thing with the marker lines 
on the back of all three cards here too

I store them in cute little Manila envelope.


Click on the link to read all about it in detail

Click Spider non-standard measuring to grab the spider set.

I print one page in color and attach to a Manila envelope,
just like the cube rolls :)

Fill In's

So I use this in math.
Children roll a number cube and color that many spiders.
You could roll a color cube and have them color a spider that color.
You could combine that and use a color cube and a number cube.
Then they would roll the cubes and color that many spiders the color they rolled.
Sometimes I have children count the spiders they have and compare them.

For example:
6 red
15 purple
10 blue
9 orange

Which color did you have the most and least?
I have them write math sentences as well.
6 red spiders and 9 orange spiders.
How many in all?
No, I just ask them to write the numbers :) 
and not the whole sentence. 




Want all the math?



Now let's talk literacy center/stations/small groups
Whatever you want... errr whatever someone higher up wants to call it lol

I start by reading these shared reading books:











I bring in I See Spiders to reading groups.


We follow up our color book with this spider pocket chart.
Children read the pocket chart sentences.
Write out on sentence strips.
It takes less time and energy for me to write out all of the strips than to print and cut out.
Children write the color words on the lines and color the spiders.


I do the same thing with the marker lines as the dominoes and matching cards.


Shake Up Learning Activities

This is one of those quick prep activities
that you teach your students once and 
they can play the rest of the year with!

During ELA you could review letters, sounds, sight words

I laminate the cover (pictured below)
You attach them to an egg carton. 
it is helpful to get egg cartons without openings on the top.
The cover will help keep the pieces inside... sometimes lol



During math you could do a whole bunch of different things.
Make sure you hop over to the blog post that goes into greater detail.



Want all the ELA??


Just want the books?
Grab those here




Need it all???

Grab everything


No comments: