Friday, June 13, 2008

Camping Week

I teach by themes, I find it a valuable tool to get students excited about learning. This week, we did a camping theme.


Monday- we brain stormed things we would need to bring on a camping trip and what we might do while camping.


One of the things they thought of was to go fishing. So our activity was to go fishing. We used pretzel sticks for our fishing poles, peanut butter for the bait and we fished for fish of course, the Pepperidge Farm variety.


At our campground on Tuesday we made trail mix and went on a hike. We used raisins, peanuts, and mini chocolate chips. If is do a camping unit again, I will use mini M&M's. Our chocolate chips melted!
On Wednesday at our campsite, we played Camper May I and Camper Says. One of my Kindergartners kept saying Camper May I can I take... It was so cute!
Thursday we made S’mores (without the campfire flames.) We took pretzel sticks, put on a mini marshmallow and then we dipped them in chocolate and then into crushed graham crackers, and Tada!!! S’mores on a stick! I used fudge ice cream topping for the chocolate. I was thinking chocolate syrup, but I think it would be too runny. The children really loved the idea. They had a blast.
This ended our Camping Unit. With the last day being a snow day make up, we are going to have our very own snow day. We are going to celebrate the warm weather/ snow day by having snow cones!!

No comments: