Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Non-standard Measurements

We have tons of these in our room.  They get so excited when I bring out a new one.

Since there is a bit of set up, I don't want to keep reinventing the wheel each and every time I introduce a new set.  At the end of the season, I grab a few backpacks on clearance.

This serves two purposes.  One it keeps all of the materials contained and two.... they have to measure it too!


You can get pretty much everything at... school lol grab some extra supplies and *BAM* this center is done! I use new supplies at the beginning of the year, but as the year goes on, I replace them with the used supplies that would normally just throw away.

You need:

* crayons
*backpack
*binder
*glue bottle
*glue stick
*markers
*stickers
*Kleenex
*pencil
*ruler
*hand sanitizer
*tape
*empty spot

I let the children choose something they find around the room.

I change out the backpack every so often... you know every quarter or when I remember lol




Here they are so far:
At the beginning, we work on this together in small groups.  I bring the backpack over to our table.
We don't worry about going in any particular order, so I don't want them to think that they have to wait later at a center for the "thing" that's next.


For storing the paperwork (as we call it) I print off 1-one-uno page in color.  I glue that sheet to a Manila envelope. and laminate the whole thing. If I want it to be closed, I add a Vel-Cro dot/square.   If I have different levels they each get their own envelope.  I just store them inside for next year.

September/Beginning of the Year




Because they are obsessed with using them if their friends have to use one lol 

Fall



Apples



October







Apparently, I need some for November! ;)

December






Gingerbread:




Think Polar Express


January














February












March









April 

*Spring
*Weather











Think spring Cleaning lol


Ducks  
this also fits in for farms!

this also fits in for farms!




May








Think Mother's Day


June

You could use them all at the end of school or beginning of school, since we are all still eating watermelon during the end of our summer.


this is the easiest of them all



One easier, 3 harder

This is the hardest of all 4.



there are two easier, only one more difficult


think Ocean/Sea unit

July

Think 4th of July
Chinese New Year
I am game for fireworks anytime!



Think:
Veteran's Day
Flag Day
4th of July



Misc

Think
*Science study of trees
*peanut butter pine cone for deer in winter


You could use this during fall too



think zoo


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am confused about what you/the students are using to measure the classroom items. Are they using the apples, pine cones, acorns, etc. at the bottom of the page to measure different items? If so, are those measuring tools copied and printed over and over again so the children can measure the larger items? Or are the children using realia to measure the classroom items and then place the corresponding paper apples, pine cones, acorns, etc. in the row on the paper to indicate how many apples the items was in length?